Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wiki What?

Wikis are a great way to get information out to the public in a way that most people can understand. Wikis are also a way to collaborate and combine ideas with multiple people. It is great to have a space where a group of people can come together and work on a single project.

I am using a wiki for one of my courses and so far, it's been great. I really enjoy being able to design, edit, delete, add, etc. to the wiki. We've been collaborating and editing our wiki. We are learning as we go along and now I know even more about wikis than I did before.

It is an easy way to start a site for a topic to get out information. I think it's pretty neat that libraries can use wikis as a way to have a web presence. And the best part, if you don't have a lot of money, it's FREE! I know that you can buy packages that allow you to do more with the wiki, but just for a small library, a free wiki would be a great start.

I also think that wikis are a good starting point to any research question or if you just want some background on a topic. Most of the time I search Wikipedia to get a base for the topic, I rarely use Wikipedia in academic papers, but it's a good place to start. It's hard to trust Wikipedia unless it has reliable sources.

I found a Harry Potter wiki that looks pretty awesome. It has a lot of information regarding all things Harry Potter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment